Thank you to Eva of Travel The Whole Wide World
Receiving the Liebster Award nomination from Eva, blogger at Travel The Whole Wide World, was a wonderful honor during my first semi-serious year of travel blogging. Eva is from Germany, and became a travel enthusiast after her first trip to the USA. (I also love that she spent time in Minnesota and Ohio, since I grew up in the Midwest!) Her posts, composed of experiences and helpful tips to manage your budget and optimize your itinerary, are definitely worth reading. So thank you, Eva, and congratulations on your own Liebster Award!
What is A Liebster Award?
For those of you wondering what the Liebster Award is, the award was created specifically for novice travel bloggers to connect with other emerging bloggers. While it can be hard to gain traction and readership due to the sheer amount of travel bloggers, the Liebster Award helps to promote and recognize bloggers that are just beginning. The Liebster Award, originated in Germany, helps new bloggers to gain exposure and recognition.
Once nominated for the Liebster Award, the nominees must:
- Thank those who nominated you – with a link to the blog in your post
- Write an intro about the Liebster Award to spread awareness
- Answer questions from the blogger who nominated you in your blog
- Nominate 5 – 10 other people for the Leibster Award
and inform them via social media
- Set up a few interesting questions for the nominees
Liebster Award Answers
- What is your favorite place in your hometown or home country?
Although I just switched from Wisconsin state residency to Florida, I grew up loving absolutely everything about my new hometown, Sanibel. The island has fantastic beaches, flowers, wildlife – and even cute mailboxes! Sanibel has a wonderful friendly and relaxed vibe that is so refreshing after living in London.
(If that reads funny, I am a Florida citizen, but a London resident.)
- How do you finance your travels?
At the moment, I do not have any great money making secrets. I just constantly search for the best deals in travel and accommodation, weighing cost and convenience. In the future, I would like to sell travel writing articles and stock photos.
- Which places are on your bucket list?
At this point, it would be easier to list places that are not on the “bucket list,” but I have actually refocused and condensed the list to the shorter term “Pre-Children Bucket List.”
Although I would like to travel a lot more, before becoming a parent, I will definitely try to:
- Hike a 14-er with my dad, who turns 70 this year
- Hike Kilimanjaro with a few expat friends I met in Taiwan
- Hike the tallest peaks in England, Scotland and Wales (but not in 24 hours for the official Three Peaks Challenge!)
- What was the best experience that you had while traveling?
While studying in Taiwan, the greatest blessing was finding my British husband at a Canadian’s St. Patrick’s Day party! Growing up in the USA, I never imagined I would marry someone with a different passport from mine and live he expat life twice.
- Which travel tip would you share with a new traveler?
Wake up early to see the sunrise, or view the city as its inhabitants wake up and go about daily life. You will also get photos without huge crowds of tourists.
- What inspires you to travel and blog?
I love hearing positive feedback when travel tales truly entertain and inform – but otherwise, I love to record my travels for me. Instead of going on holiday, snapping some photos and forgetting about it – I take the time to evaluate my experiences and make them re-livable.
- How did you come up with your blog name?
I wanted my blog to be an obvious travel blog – and I used the phrase “Up And At ‘Em” because my mom used to say that to rouse my brother and I out of bed. It possesses a vigor that should be used for travel. Simply rise and shine, and go see the world, wherever you are.
- How has your travel style changed as compared to when you just started traveling?
Now when I travel, I make sure to write down tips that might help other first-time travelers to the area and facts that can help to color their stay.
- What is the one thing that always makes you cringe when you are traveling abroad?
Listening to other Americans being too loud and saying ridiculously stupid things – eek!!
- What do you struggle with as a travel blogger?
I love taking notes as I explore the world, but turning my notes can even seem tedious sometimes. And all the behind-the-scenes blog stuff (formatting posts with the right images, etc.) are the less fun, less inspiring tasks of travel blogging.
Up&AtEm Travel Liebster Award Nominees
Congratulations to all of the following nominees. I look forward to seeing your blog growth and your own Liebster Award post!
Up&AtEm Travel Liebster Award Questions
- Why did you start travel blogging?
- Which travel blogging groups, events and resources are most helpful to you?
- What is your favorite way to travel: plane, train, automobile, ship or other?
- When you travel do you stay up to date with social media or simply tune out?
- What do you like to splurge on when you travel?
- What is the most interesting thing you have eaten on your travels?
- How do you try to avoid scams and deter pickpockets?
- How has blogging changed the way you approach travel?
- What is your best piece of travel advice?
- If you only had one year left to live, how would you spend it – at home, abroad, or a mix of both?